10/1/17

"Dyslexic Heart" by Paul Westerberg

     Welcome back friends! As we begin the month of October, the Dial tunes in a signal containing a forgotten ‘90s alternative rock hit, recorded by the founder of one of the most popular college rock groups of the ‘80s. Time to jog your memory with Paul Westerberg and his “Dyslexic Heart”!

You shoot me glances and they’re so hard to read… I misconstrue what you mean…
Slip me a napkin and now that's a start... is this your name or a doctor's eye chart?"

A clever tune about the mixed signals one often receives when dating, Paul details various scenarios encountered during a particular courtship. For instance, after giving him the eye at a bar, the woman in question gives him an undecipherable note on a napkin. Then over dinner, she prefers reading a book instead of making conversation. Finally, she gives mixed physical signals in the bedroom, making him wonder if she is a timid lover or a wild woman. He wonders if she is just playing with him for her own amusement, culminating in the memorable line… “Do I hate you, do I date you?

Pulled from the soundtrack to the 1992 Gen X classic Singles, “Dyslexic Heart” was a US alt rock #4 hit, but despite the film’s popularity, and the fact that the movie produced two other alt rock hits, (Alice in Chains’ “Would?”, and The Smashing Pumpkins’ “Drown”), Paul’s soundtrack contribution earned no hot 100 crossover success. Adding to the song’s mystique is its exclusivity to the Singles soundtrack, as it has not appeared on a Westerberg LP to date.

Do I read you correctly, lead me directly… help me with this part.

Paul Westerberg was a founding member of The Replacements, a college rock band of the ‘80s that met with widespread critical acclaim, but no major success on the pop charts. Their best showing was 1989’s “I’ll Be You”, which topped the US Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock charts, but climbed just halfway up the hot 100 to US #51.

As a solo artist, Paul hit the #4 alt rock position a second time with his 1993 follow up “World Class Fad”, but following that, his only other charting song was the #21 alt rock “Love Untold” from 1996. Paul tends to contribute to movie soundtracks and compilations in between releasing self-published albums these days.

You keep swayin’… what are you sayin’? Thinkin’ about stayin’?

I hadn’t thought of “Dyslexic Heart” in at least 20 years until I heard it in my local Kroger on a recent late night grocery run. As soon as I heard the cheeky “Naaa-na-na-na  Na-na-na-NA-na” refrain, I knew I had found the next song for the Radio Dial to spotlight.

On a side note, Kroger’s in-store music playlists are created by someone (or more than likely, many someones) that tend to share similar eclectic musical tastes to yours truly. For every well-known mainstream hit, they’ll play an obscure album cut or lower charting song, and they’ve run the gamut of rock, country, soul, and dance… hmmm… maybe I should see about getting a position with the Kroger in-store radio network!

So take a listen to Paul’s humorous tale of a guy confused by his intended lover (although to be honest, aren’t we all?) and stay tuned to the Dial for more great tracks from radio’s past!

I try and comprehend you but I got a dyslexic heart... I ain’t dying to offend, you, I got a dyslexic heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...