12/16/12

"Lawyers in Love" by Jackson Browne




Good Evening Dialophiles!



Tonight’s selection from airwaves (and jukeboxes) past is a catchy little ditty that skewers American materialism while also tossing in jabs at religion and the Cold War. Sit back and enjoy as the Dial proudly presents Jackson Browne’s 1983 hit “Lawyers in Love”!



“Lawyers” was a tune I completely forgot about until around 15 years after its release, when I caught its music video on an eighties themed segment on VH-1. As soon as the opening rhythm began, memories of hearing the tune at the age of nine flooded back to me. Once I started really examining to the lyrics, I was greatly amused at its sarcasm and condemnation of the materialistic American persona, something I certainly hadn’t grasped upon first listen. Shockingly, the song really has nothing to do with lawyers, whether in love, or otherwise…



Observing Browne’s near-transfixed state, at eating his TV dinner while watching events unfold on his set, holds just as much sardonic weight now (late 2012 going into ’13), as it did on that late ‘90s viewing, and during its original release. It’s clear that some things never change.



Of course, given that I was watching this very video on TV (while enjoying some sort of a snack, myself), the irony wasn’t lost on me. Was I no better than Browne’s TV junkie? It’s an unsettling thought, but I sure was humming the melody, complete with catchy “oooooh – sha la la” refrain for days afterwards.



“Lawyers” served as the first single from Jackson’s “Lawyers in Love” LP. The scathing song peaked at #13, making it his fourth most successful top 40 hit, behind…”Running on Empty”, “Doctor My Eyes”, and the “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” soundtrack contribution “Somebody’s Baby”.



So spin this underplayed chart hit, and pay close attention to the main character in the video… see if he doesn’t remind you of some people you may know...



I can’t keep up with what’s been going on… I think my heart must just be slowing down… Among the human beings, in their designer jeans…

Am I the only one who hears the screams… and the strangled cries of…

Lawyers in Love




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...