12/23/12

"I Think I Love You" by Voice of the Beehive


Hey Dialophiles!

We’re so delighted you’re joining us this evening to “plug in” to the latest song from the not-so-distant past. Tonight the Dial beams a signal direct to your speakers containing Voice of the Beehive’s “I Think I Love You” from their 1991 “Honey Lingers” LP.

Being a man who enjoys a good cover tune, this track really jumped out at me. Not only because it was an alt-pop cover of a sunshiny ‘70s pop classic, but also because this was the first time I noticed a remake of a song explicitly created for a television show. Of course, this practice wasn’t new… take a listen to any of the numerous covers of “The Peter Gunn Theme” released throughout the years for proof of that, but this Partridge Family re-do was the first one that really captured my ears. I could just picture Keith, Laurie, Danny and the rest rocking out to this modern incarnation in their maroon pants suits.

The Honey Lingers LP spun-off three singles, “Monsters and Angels” (US #74, #8 US Modern Rock, & UK#17), “Perfect Place” (UK #37), and ITILY, which peaked at UK #25, but wasn’t released to American radio at all, neither top 40 or college/modern rock stations. Damn shame too, I believe if it had gotten the right push, (perhaps through frequent airing of its "Rocky Horror-esque" music video), this offbeat little cover could’ve landed a similar peak position in the U.S., possibly even top 20.

Voice of the Beehive’s discography is filled with charming and bouncy alt-pop courtesy of vocalists and songwriters Tracey Bryn and Melissa Brooke Belland. Drawing equal influence from new wave, 70s pop, and 80s modern rock (B-52s, Strawberry Switchblade…) their music served as a nice balance to the traditional gloomy vibe of U.S. college radio at the time.

Give it a listen, and see if you don’t think you love this take on this iconic pop classic! And Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays from all of us here at Kyle’s Radio Dial!

“I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of ?
I’m afraid that I’m not sure of, a love there is no cure for.

I think I love you, isn’t that what life is made of ?
But it worries me to say… that I’ve never felt this way…”



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...