8/20/20

"Someday" by Glass Tiger


   “When I come home, you telephone… to say you’re waiting for me.”

   Hello friends, I hope your summer is treating you well! Thanks for tuning into to the Dial on this fine August day… evening… wee hours of the morning? Truth be told, I’m not sure exactly when you are reading this, but I am sure that the Dial is bringing you a classic top 10 hit from our friends in the Great White North. Stay tuned, read on and listen up for Glass Tiger and “Someday”.


   Founded in Ontario, Canada, in 1983 and consisting of lead singer Alan Frew, bassist Wayne Parker, guitarist Al Connelly, Sam Reid on keyboards, and Michael Hanson on drums, Glass Tiger released their debut album, The Thin Red Line, in 1986. The first single pulled from that album was the smash hit “Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone”, which topped the charts in their homeland, and nearly duplicated that feat in America, yet stopped one position short at #2. Quite an impressive debut overall.

   “Someday” was the band’s second American released single, a mid-tempo ballad which was to be their final top 10 hit in the states, reaching #7 on the pop charts. The boys only charted in the U.S. two more times, with “I Will Be There” (#34/’87), and “I’m Still Searching” (#31/’88). However, they had tons of big hits in Canada for several years, including 1991’s “My Town”, which featured Rod Stewart, and was a #8 hit on the Canadian RPM singles chart.

   Written by Frew and Connelly, along with producer Jim Vallance (you may know him as the prolific songwriting partner of Bryan Adams), the song speaks to the frustration of a guy who’s girlfriend is very conflicted regarding their relationship. The couple speak on the phone for the bulk of the song, initially with her saying that she’s waiting for him (while crying...), then later, she says she doesn’t need him, yet she can’t explain why for fear of hurting him. Sounds like she is dealing with some heavy emotional baggage to be sure, but in doing so, she is also stringing this poor guy along. Eventually, he decides he can only take so much.

   The chorus contains the line “Someday I’ll be losing this fear”, indicating that once he reaches the peak of his frustration, he’ll confront her about their relationship. He hasn’t told her yet, but it’s coming soon. Someday.

   Glass Tiger were nominated for a 1986 best new artist Grammy award, but lost that to Bruce Hornsby and the Range. However, back in Canada, the band won multiple Juno awards, including Single of the Year (‘86) for “Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone”, Album of the Year (‘86) for “The Thin Red Line”, and the Most Promising Group of the Year (again,’86) award. “Someday” won the single of the year award for ‘87, making Glass Tiger one of the few acts (an exclusive club with Terry Jacks, Anne Murray, and Alanis Morissette) that won that same award in two consecutive years.

   I’ve always loved “Someday”. The whole song is just filled with hooks that please my ears. Alan’s blue-eyed soul style of singing, the ascensions in the chorus, that harmonica solo during the bridge, the soulful backup singers. In fact, even though I would classify “Someday” as a ballad, it also doesn’t quite seem to fit the typical interpretation of a ballad to me. Even though the lyrics clearly convey romantic frustration, the easy going mid-tempo melody steers it away from the exhausting melodrama that often plagues many of the best known ballads from the rock era.

   “Someday” fell off of radio playlists rather quickly once it’s chart run ended, (glad I taped it off of Q107 back then!) but I recall hearing it on a light rock station in the mid ‘90s and being reminded of what a great tune it is. Later that year, I got the Air Time: The Best of Glass Tiger compilation CD for either Christmas or my birthday, so I could revisit “Someday” and their other tunes whenever I please. Still, I can count the number of times I’ve actually heard “Someday” on the radio on one hand since it’s original ‘86 chart run, which makes this a lost hit on the airwaves... at least here in the states. (I admit, it may very well be all over the classic hits stations in Canada.)

   And when you watch the music video, remember, it was the mid ‘80s. And besides, real men wear pink.

   So give Glass Tiger’s forgotten hit a spin and see if it jogs any memories for you. Are you familiar with their other hits? Do you think they deserved a longer hit making career in the U.S.? Drop me a message below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...