10/24/15

A RADIO DIAL EXTRA: "Stiletto" by The Night Flight Orchestra

           Well, this is unusual… It seems another modern song has caught my attention, and thus, been picked up by the receivers of the Radio Dial. Just a little over two months after discovering the soulful Lianne La Havas and her hit-that-should-have-been “What You Don’t Do”, I now find myself constantly humming a song that draws inspiration from ‘80s AOR anthems, and apes those styles nearly perfectly. Crank it up and rip the knob off for “Stiletto” by The Night Flight Orchestra! 

Formed by Bjorn Strid and David Andersson of the Swedish melodic death metal group Soilwork, along with Sharlee D'Angelo, Jonas Källsbäck, Richard Larsson, and Sebestian Forslund, The Night Flight Orchestra was created out of Bjorn and David’s mutual appreciation for 70s and 80s classic rock and an attempt to recapture the sound and melody of that era. “Stiletto” is taken from this year’s LP “Skyline Whispers”, and celebrates the intense physical desire the singer feels for his woman, despite the fact that their emotional connection eroded a long time prior. 

“Stiletto” would have sounded perfectly at home on an AOR or rock leaning top 40 station circa ‘85 or ‘86. Strid and Andersson are clearly drawing inspiration from the icons of the era, recalling acts like Loverboy, Survivor, Billy Squier, and Sammy Hagar, and lyrics that evoke the intense longing of Bryan Adams’ “Run To You”, and the aggressive, cocky “swagger” of John Parr's “Naughty Naughty”. There’s also a very real mid ‘80s movie soundtrack quality here, as if “Stiletto” is actually a long lost single recorded for the Rocky III or Over The Top soundtracks.

I was recently introduced to The Night Flight Orchestra by my friend Justin, a serious metal fan by trade, who learned of the band due to it's Soilwork connection. He recommended that I check out “Stiletto” because of my appreciation of all things ‘80s. Upon first listen, I knew I had found the next Radio Dial Extra.

Click the window below and give “Stiletto” a spin. And don’t be surprised if an ‘80s movie styled “montage” starts playing in your mind’s eye as you listen… what you fill that montage with, I’ll leave up to you.

And Justin, I would just like to say… \m/ SLAYER! \m/ 

Please don’t take off your stilettos… They never tell me lies… I’m under a spell, can never let go… Don't hold me on the line… hold me on the line.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...