8/9/15

A RADIO DIAL EXTRA: "What You Don't Do" by Lianne La Havas

          Hello friends, as you all know, I don't typically dabble in modern music, but when a recent song catches my ear like nothing before, I turn the Dial's attention its way, and call it a Radio Dial Extra.

Tonight, I invite you to take a listen to South London born Lianne La Havas and her outstanding neo-soul number “What You Don't Do”. Taken from her second LP Blood, and following the lead single “Unstoppable”, Lianne has concocted a sophisticated musical cocktail that builds from an R&B base, adds upbeat doo-wop and smoky jazz flavors, and tops it all off with clever lyrics that turn the negative phrase “What You Don't Do” into a positive affirmation about the love of her life.

Astute listeners will detect vocal hints of Whitney Houston, Erykah Badu, and Ella Fitzgerald, along with echos of Sly & The Family Stone, George Michael, and Prince layered throughout this incredibly danceable melody.

Released just this past July, La Havas hasn't hit the Hot 100 just yet, but “What You Don't Do” did reach #30 on Billboard's Adult R&B Charts. Why this instant classic didn't cross over to the Mainstream R&B singles chart, and then storm up the Top 40 is perplexing to me.

I know what I got and I know where we're going... You don't need to show it, I already know it all ! It's what you don't do, it's what you don't say...
(It's what you don't do) I know you love me, I don't need proof !




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...