3/16/14

A RADIO DIAL EXTRA: Haim's "The Wire"


Given our strong retro leanings here at the Dial, it’s quite rare when a recent song grabs our attention. However, if a contemporary track causes us to groove, we’ll give it a shout out as a RADIO DIAL EXTRA !

Today, we take a quick listen to Haim’s “The Wire”. Upon hearing the opening drumbeats, I immediately thought somebody was covering The Eagles “Heartache Tonight”. In fact, I couldn’t help from mentally singing along using the Eagles’ lyrics… “Somebody’s gonna hurt someone… before the night is through…

Once the song’s true lyrics regarding a woman’s fumbled breakup with her beau began, and the deliciously catchy chorus hit my ears, I knew I found that rare modern song that would lodge in my brain forever.

Haim (rhymes with “time”) comprises of the Haim sisters (lead vocalist Danielle, keyboardist Alana, and bassist Este), and drummer Dash Hutton, whose musical output is inspired by a veritable Generation X greatest hits playlist. Elements of Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, Prince, Wilson Phillips, and En Vogue can be heard through their 2013 debut LP “Days Are Gone”.

“The Wire” is their highest charting single so far, peaking at US Rock #25, and UK #16, though it amazingly did not cross over to the Hot 100. But give them time, these girls are just warming up! And who knows? Maybe years down the road, one of the “Radio Dial Kids” will take the blog over from Dad and put the Dial’s spotlight on Haim’s rockin’ track a second time, because by that time, it’ll be retro!

Always keep your heart locked tight, don’t let your mind retire… But I just couldn’t take it, I tried hard not to fake it… But I fumbled it when I came down to the wire…







No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...