10/22/12

TWO-FER TUESDAY: Dan Fogelberg


Good evening, Dialophiles! 

When trying to select which track from my musical collection to spotlight next, I kept returning to one specific artist, but couldn’t decide which of two tracks should get the nod. This is exactly the kind of dilemma that calls out for a "Two-Fer Tuesday". So tonight, the Dial presents for your enlightenment, a duo of selections from Mr. Dan Fogelberg.

Beginning in 1974, Fogelberg released a series of critically acclaimed LPs, which were equally influenced by folk, rock, jazz, and classical. His mellow sounds and poetic lyrics placed many hits on the hot 100 and AC charts, such as the wedding toast classic “Longer”, the melancholy holiday tale “Same Old Lang Syne”, and the tribute to his father Lawrence, who had indeed been a bandleader and music teacher, “Leader of the Band”.

The Dial’s first selection tonight from Dan’s discography is 1982’s “Missing You”. First released on his 1982 Greatest Hits LP, the single reached #23 pop, #6 AC (Adult Contemporary), and tells the simple story of a traveling man dearly missing his lady love back at home. 

I first heard “Missing You” when spending a weekend at my grandparents’, on their transistor radio that I set by my pillow so I could listen to top 40 as I drifted off to sleep. The track, especially Dan's guitar solo, impressed me with its “rockier” edge when compared to his softer, easy listening hits, and it seemed to echo a Hall & Oates, Chicago, or Kenny Loggins styled vibe.  To this day, when I hear its opening notes, I’m back in my grandparents’ guest room, complete with old roll top desk against the west wall, and the stars of the night sky visible out the window on the opposite side. A very comforting cosmic visual to accompany Fogelberg’s forgotten former hit. 

Hard days I’m traveling along for too long… ooh-ooh I’m missing you I’m always somewhere that I never belong. Ooo-ooh I’m missing you



Our second selection from Dan’s resume is an extract from 1990’s The Wild Places LP, “Rhythm of the Rain”. A mid-tempo jazz-influenced reading of the 1963 #3 pop hit by The Cascades, their version being a teenage breakup lament using the famous metaphor of rain for tears. Through Dan’s capable musicianship, this ‘60s classic is recast as a mature and heartfelt romantic plea. 

“Rhythm” peaked high on the AC charts at #3, but never crossed over on the pop side… a shame, but not surprising in a year largely dominated by rap and energetic dance acts. Personally, I became familiar with “Rhythm” through playing The Wild Places album in the Square Circle record store I worked at in high school, and I always looked forward to his interpretation of this classic song. Be sure to pay special attention to the final 30 seconds, which interpolates the first verses to the Beatles’ “Rain”. 

Listen to the rhythm of the failing rain… telling me just what a fool I’ve been. I wish that it would go and let me cry in vain, and let me be alone again.”





Dan sadly left us on 12/16/07 after a long bout with cancer.  I was quite moved by the news, as I always appreciated his melodies and lyrical prowess, and his music was always present in some way or another as I was growing up.

Much respect to you, Dan, and much thanks for enriching our lives (and mine in particular) with your songs. The Radio Dial salutes you, kind sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...