7/29/12

"Make A Move On Me" by Olivia Newton-John

Hey Dialophiles!

I'm coming to realize that 1982 is, hands down, my favorite year of music in the 1980s. I'm always thinking of tunes from that very year to eventually spotlight on the Radio Dial. Back then, I had really immersed myself in the top 40 sounds... on car rides with my folks, on my portable AM/FM radio/cassette deck in my room, and spinning hits via vinyl on my Emerson record player. One of the forgotten former hits from that year is getting the spotlight tonight, Olivia Newton John's "Make A Move On Me".

The follow up single to her smash hit "Physical", which held at US #1 for an amazing ten weeks, "Make A Move" is a bouncy, fun filled pop song all about a woman's recognition that a certain guy fancies her... and she's perfectly okay with that... so long as he hurries up. In fact, she encourages the fella to "spare her all the charms, and take her in his arms"! Ah yes, a confident woman!

Peaking at US #5 in April of '82, Olivia's lighthearted synth-heavy track would not seem out of place as musical accompaniment to a cheerleading routine. Yet, while the iconic (and indeed overplayed, even 30 years later) "Physical" remains a part of our pop culture consciousness, "Make a Move" slipped into radio obscurity, even a year or so after it's original release.  

So here's to Aussie Olivia Newton-John... former country songstress, "Pink Lady", and Xanadu muse, for creating one of the greatest unfairly forgotten top 10 hits of 1982, or the entire decade. 
  
"I'm the one you want... that's all I have to be...
So come on baby... make a move on me."




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...