6/24/12

"I'm Chillin'" by Kurtis Blow

Tonight, the Dial scans the radio band to lock onto a frequency rarely heard on my blog… hip-hop, specifically “old school rap”.
I grew up just outside of Washington DC, a city known for the development of “Go-go” music, a percussion-heavy blend of funk, R&B, and early hip-hop styles, along with the early promotion and championing of prototypical rap artists.
Classic tracks like Newcleus’ “Jam On It”, “Freaks Come Out at Night” by Whodini, and Midnight Star’s “Freak-A-Zoid”, crossed over from “urban” radio formats onto our  local Top 40 stations, and were occasionally heard sandwiched in between hits by Prince, Huey Lewis & the News, and Madonna.  
As a result, my friends and I encountered many songs that kids living in other parts of the U.S. (say… Des Moines, Iowa…) likely never heard.
One of my personal favorites of this genre was Kurtis Blow’s “I’m Chllin’”, from his 1986 “Kingdom Blow” LP. Recorded with the Go-go ensemble Trouble Funk, and incorporating an interpolation of the theme to my favorite cartoon series ever, “I’m Chillin’” is largely a light-hearted boasting record, though it features lyrics critical of other MCs for putting down women in their rhymes…

“To diss a female is a lowdown shame, but you suckers make the records ‘cause you wanna get fame. All you radio cats, don’t play that crap. Can’t you see they’re messin’ up, all in the name of the rap?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...