11/18/16

"This Is Me" by Dream

    Hey friends, I have something to confess. In the late 90s, I went through a “pure pop” phase. Songs by N*Sync, the Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls, Britney, Christina, Mandy,  and All Saints were as much of my playlists as were classic 70s and 80s hits by Abba, The Eagles, Foreigner, Michael Jackson, and Cyndi Lauper. I enjoyed the happy upbeat feel of these 90s pop acts, and the contemporary popular sounds they brought to the table.
 
By the time Y2K was over and done however, I found myself growing tired of most of the “current day” popsters. But even as I largely returned to my retro-listening habits, one then-new pop act caught my ear, and to this day, 16 years later, I still frequently return to one of their tunes in particular. That song is entitled “This Is Me”, and the act bringing it to you on the Dial, is Dream.
 
She stole your heart… only did it because she could...
Chewed you up and spat you out... bad girl never was no good."
 
A quartet of female vocalists based in Los Angeles, California; Holly, Melissa, Diana, and Ashley harmonize very smoothly here, and sing at a subdued level when compared to some of their contemporaries like Mariah and Christina. While Dream certainly sings in the style of R&B influenced teen pop, there’s no over-the-top fluttering melismas here. Overall, “This is Me” has a definite light-"Genie in a Bottle" vibe, which makes sense, as one of the authors of This is Me, Pamela Sheyne, was also a co-author of Christina’s Grammy winning debut single.
 
Lyrically, “This is Me” offers a young woman’s declaration of love and devotion to her new beau. The dreamy relaxing melody, along with the layered and complimentary harmonies, give the song a tender and sweet vibe, as the girl reassures her guy that while he was hurt in the past, his heart is safe with her now.
 
Baby I would never do that… ‘cuz I love you faithfully...
But your suspicious mind thinks I'm gonna repeat her story..."
 
About the only thing I could do without is the tune’s coda… a spoken “Get a Grip!” Sure, maybe the guy is being really whiny about not wanting to be hurt again (which would understandably frustrate her and eventually provoke a snarky response), but it seems out of place given that the song’s entire 3:12 run time portrays her to be reassuring, sympathetic and caring. But I’ll look past that…
 
Taken from the group’s 2000 debut LP It Was All A Dream, and following the lead single “He Loves U Not”, (US #2, US R&B #15, UK #17), “This is Me” peaked at #39 on the Hot 100. Well… sort of. As it turns out, the song that actually charted at #39 is properly called "This is Me Remix", but instead of enhancing some beats and adding some loops while leaving the basic structure of the song intact (which many remixes tend to do), this version is a completely different song from the album cut.
 
The remixed version only retained a portion of the album version’s chorus, discarding the remainder of the song, and rebuilding it with a new melody, new lyrics, an unnecessary rap section, and a music bed sampling Bob James' "Take Me to the Mardi Gras". It doesn't even share the same relaxed vibe as the album cut, replacing the soothing soft soulful pop of the original with a sort of Euro-funk jam.
 
Hence, I prefer the original LP version.
 
It’s makin’ you crazy, makin’ you a wreck...
Makin' you follow me, makin' me a suspect."
 
I realize this is manufactured pop, written by professional songwriters, managed by a known music star (Puff Daddy), and targeted towards TRL watching teens, and there was certainly a ton of “me too” style songs and acts in the  late ‘90s teen pop boom. But Dream’s “This Is Me” has always impressed me as possessing a class and elegance in a genre that didn’t typically aspire to those loftier qualities.
 
I played it for my nearly 5 year old daughter recently, and now she asks for “This is Me” as we drive to school in the morning, played alongside her favorite tracks by Survivor, Tom Petty, and Glenn Frey. Hey, she’s a chip off the old Dial!
 
So give Dream’s ode to devotion and reassurance a listen, and be sure to keep your ears to the Dial for the next overlooked track from the past! Kyle’s Radio Dial… The more you listen, the MORE you remember!
 
You wanna trust me but you don’t know how...
I'm never gonna mess around, let you down, can't you see?
That was her... and baby, this is me."
 
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Home by the Sea" by Genesis

   “ Creeping up the blind side...shinning up the wall.. stealing through the dark of night. ”    Welcome back to Kyle's Radio Dial, fr...